Tuesday, December 19, 2006

Saddle up for Jesus

Okay. Today's my first full day back in Chickamauga, Georgia. Here's a weirdness report:

Waiting in traffic this afternoon, I noticed a "Cowboy Church" sticker on the back of an SUV. Back at the ranch, I did a Google search and found
cowboychurch.net, a website for a unique group of ministers who call themselves "Cowboys" and reach out to "farmers, ranchers, cowboys, horsemen, rodeo contestants, and their families."

The site's purpose is twofold: "to provide you with the resources to find one of these ministries and when they are holding a church service, a roping or an event," and "to promote the work that ministries are doing to help people in agriculture, specifically the cowboy, obtain a personal relationship with Jesus Christ."


















Wow.

4 comments:

Tom Ferguson said...

Chris,

Please remember that not all Chickamaugans are culturally backward. Moreover, despite its quirks, I love this town. It's one of the few places in the nation where one can feel completely relaxed while walking around the block alone after dark.

Sincerely,
Andy Ampersand

Tiki Chris said...

Who said anything about Chickamaugans being culturally backward?

Please keep in mind that - like you - I am from Chickamauga. I'm only commenting on the things that stand out after being away from my home for so long.

With respect to walking around the block alone, I must say that there are many many many places in this nation (and in the world) where folks can safely walk alone after dark.

Thanks for writing!

Tom Ferguson said...

Chris,

You're definitely more of an authority on whether other places are safe to walk around in at night. I think your globe-trotting experiences are great (I'm jealous!)!

The "culturally backward" bit reflects the fact that there are some eccentric individuals in the South. I wasn't ragging on you. Sorry if I seemed to be. And, of course, being a Chickamauga native yourself, you have every right to comment on its strange aspects.

My comment was not really meant for you at all (I know that doesn't seem to make sense). It's just that there have been numerous occasions in my life where I've been around individuals from other parts of the United States or elsewhere, and I was made to feel like I should apologize for being an idiot Southern boy.

In fact, I consider myself (no, I'm not modest) a smart, informed fellow with a lot to offer in terms of intelligent conversation & areas of interest.

Too often it seems that non-Southern individuals assume that anyone from the South is a slobbering throwback to a best-forgotten historical era. I just want people to know that the South does have some dignified, with-it folks.

By the way, how long are you going to be in town? There's a show this Friday night at The Local that a couple of my band mates, my wife & I are planning to attend. Maybe you could drop in & have a couple of drinks with us!

Take care,
Tom

Tiki Chris said...

Thanks for the invite, but we'll be heading back to London Friday night.

Take care,
Chris

More Stuff

Search Tiki Chris Presents ...

Latest ontoTravel

Latest ontoLondon

...

Don't Get it?

If you like this blog ...

Blog Archive