Artist Profile: Chongolio
Self-described "freewheelin' monkey boy and intrepid tripper cruisin' down the paths of life lookin' for laughter, good friends and big fun," artist Randy Bain (aka Chongolio) resides near Santa Cruz, California, but has designs on moving to Hawai'i in 2007.
Of course, viewing Chongolio's work one might suspect he was born on and nevah left some remote surfers' paradise in the Pacific. If anybody was ever meant for da islands, it's dis braddah!
In reality, Chongolio was born in Los Angeles, but left the concrete jungles of LA in his early twenties, to travel up the California coast and across the US. He has visited Hawai'i many times and has been "mesmerized and inspired by all things tropical and exotic" for as long as he can remember.
Such inspiration may be found in his artwork – a briny melange of frantic surfing action and evocative tiki moods (think “Big Daddy” Ed Roth goes Hawaiian). To view his work is to be reminded of a favourite Saturday morning cartoon that never actually existed – but should have!
Recently, Chongolio has branched out to designing tiki mugs. His Ohana Hut tiki mug design won the second-ever Tiki Central Mug Design Contest! He hopes to use the buzz generated from the mug design contest as a springboard to bigger projects.
I’m a big fan of Chongo’s work. In fact, in 2005, the two of us collaborated on a three-volume illustrated series based upon the ancient Hawaiian legend of Kamapua'a, the Hawaiian Pig God.
Not satisfied with exploring only the visual side of his tropical fantasies, Chongolio is also the mastermind behind Coconut Wired, a music show podcast of "sonic surf, tropical tunes and exotic ambiance."
Eager to learn more about Chongolio and his zany, tropical zany style?
Have a look at these sites:
Coconut Wired with Chongolio and Friends
Monday, November 13, 2006
Artist Profile: Chongolio
Search Tiki Chris Presents ...
Don't Get it?
Tiki Chris Blogs
- ► 2008 (202)
- ► 2007 (412)
- Check out the new Tiki Magazine blog
- Show your support for the Rapa Nui News blog
- If you like Kon-Tiki ...
- Help a braddah move to Hawai'i!
- Thanks for great week (Friday November 24, 2006)
- Happy Thanksgiving!
- About the CheekyTiki blog
- Coconut Wired Adventure #9
- Pirate tippy pot!
- Short and sweet week in review (Friday November 17...
- Check out Pocketiki Magazine
- How to post comments
- Artist Profile: Chongolio
- The Coconut Monkey Project
- Free online archive of New Zealand and Pacific Isl...
- Argh! Polly wanna upstage Johnny Depp?
- Tiki Chris survey says, "It's Friday!" (Friday Nov...
- Photos from Unnatural Selection
- Take the Tiki Chris survey
- Yo ho ho and a urethral syringe
- Super-Bastard Box Art Characters
- Weekly Review (Friday November 3, 2006)
- Calaveras alive! (31DoHM +)
- Photos from the Artistic Vandals show
- How to make sugar skulls (31DoHM +)
- ▼ November (25)