Thursday, August 17, 2006

A couple of necromaniacal apples in every bunch

Poor Mozambique. The press rarely mentions how well the country's come along since ending its civil war in the mid 90's ... or how it's managed to stay economically buoyant despite President Mugabe going nuts over in Zimbabwe ... or ... (you get the point). But hey, I reckon ghoulish oddities attract our attention (I guess with this post, I'm guilty too). For the record, I never witnessed any evidence of cannibalism when I lived in Mozambique during the mid 90's.

'Cannibals' confess in Mozambique
By Jose Tembe
BBC News, Maputo
Last Updated: Thursday, 17 August 2006, 10:22 GMT 11:22 UK

The husband, 50-year-old Neva Mafunga said he had been eating human flesh for more than 20 years, the police say. His 34-year-old wife, Nhanvura Faera, said she began eating human flesh on the orders of her husband.

Click
here to read the full article.

By contrast, I wonder how often cases of cannibalism and necro-weirdness occur in western countries every year? Remember the below referenced bit of American South gothic depravity?

Crematory body count 'growing by the hour'
Found remains like '100 jigsaw puzzles'
CNN.com
February 18, 2002 Posted: 7:49 PM EST (0049 GMT)

Noble is a small town tucked into the extreme northwest corner of Georgia near the Tennessee and Alabama borders. It is about 85 miles northwest of Atlanta.

Click
here to read the full article.

And for the record, I never witnessed any strong evidence of cannibalism when I lived in the extreme northwest corner of Georgia for the first half of my life.

4 comments:

M. Snow said...

Yes, I remember it very well. I had moved back to Chickamauga at the time of the investigation, a stone's throw from noble unincorporated. I don't know how many times I went through there as a teenager, down highway 27, en route to Lafayette. Never figured there was a guy piling up dead bodies, or worse..

Tiki Chris said...

I had forgotten that Noble was an "unincorporated" community. Those road signs were (are still?) hilarious. I used to take Highway 27 (via Noble) to the cultural mecca of LaFayette (luh-fay-et) all the time too. Creepy.

M. Snow said...

Funny, I looked up Noble on wikipedia, it isn't even listed. Probably someone should create an entry, especially considering these events.

adspain said...

What was horrible was how many people received a femur or a jawtooth to bury in exchange for the person they had "laid to rest" 10 years prior.

More Stuff

Search Tiki Chris Presents ...

Latest ontoTravel

Latest ontoLondon

...

Don't Get it?

If you like this blog ...