Wednesday, June 28, 2006

Goodbye chili cheese fries

Back in May, I started writing what has become a monthy column for the TriCity News, an alternative newspaper focusing on the arts, culture, and politics in eastern Monmouth County - where I lived before moving to London. The column, published every third Thursday of the month, examines what it's like to be an expat American living in London. It's an honor and a pleasure to write for the TriCity News, a paper that I loved reading while living in the TriCity area. My first piece, "Goodbye chili cheese fries," was originally published in the May 18, 2006 edition of The TriCity News. Enjoy.

Goodbye chili cheese fries
copyright Chris Osburn 2006

To get the gist of this report all you need to know is that my wife, Emilia, and I have recently moved to London from West Long Branch. It would probably also help to know that I've lived in London before (from 2001-2003). However, unlike last time which was a temporary gig with a leaving date in mind, this time might just be for the long haul. It's certainly great to be back in "the Smoke" – still, leaving my home on the Shore was hard, as I found out during my last few weeks in Jersey:

Okay, so now that my move to London is imminent, I'm finding that many otherwise taken for granted aspects of my life here on the Jersey Shore to be radiating quite the rosy hue. Of course, I'm speaking figuratively of all sorts of little things and not literally of the pollution-enriched sunsets over Sandy Hook Bay.

Also, since this overseas move is really on (I've got a week left in this country), I've been making sure to treat myself to one last taste of my favorite local cuisines. In the past week or so, I've hit the local pizza place (Attilio's in West Long Branch is my fave), the local bagel place (Bagel Oven in Red Bank please!), plus a few other eateries that I'll really miss having in my near proximity. There's the humble Far East Taste in Eatontown, where Richard, the owner, often greets diners with tales of the fresh fish he personally caught that day - and how he plans to personally prepare it.

Moby's in Highlands, too, (with views of the Shrewsbury River, Sandy Hook Drawbridge, and the Atlantic, not to mention its raw bar, excellent lobster, steamers, and fried clams) has almost been a summer weekend standard for the past few years.

And then, there are all those great places in Asbury Park: the elegant and refined Harrison with its "urban fare," the comfort food dream spot Chat & Nibble, and Taka with its absolutely scrumptious Japanese menu and gorgeous decor.

Not to be unmentioned is, perhaps, my favorite AP eatery: Tides, a Bistro-by-the-Sea. I don't so much love this place for its food (which is good), or its decor (which is okay), or even for its excellent location (right on the boardwalk with gigantic windows that get so much sunlight that sunglasses come in handy) ... but for its off-kilter vibe. The place is just bizarre. For example, d'ever have a waiter jonesing for a cigarette to the point of begging you for it - and then 10 minutes later, completely forgetting he'd asked you and that you'd told him that you didn't have any cigarettes, begging yet again? More so, d'ever have a waiter (different from the nicotine craving one) take five minutes to share with you a monologue about how "lazy" he is - while the whole time you're wondering "when is this guy gonna take my order?" Or how about this one: d'ever have your coffee mug filled and just after taking one sip, have someone waiting to refill it immediately. Now, it might be one thing if I were describing some divey diner in east bumble but, this is "bistro-by-the-sea" for crying out loud! Tides has the feel of a first date with a stranger on acid (and I sincerely appreciate their efforts for that very fact).

And, of course, there's the Windmill in West End where I recently had a near religious experience while chowing down on a hotdog with some chili cheese fries. Man, it was really delicious.

Living in the TriCities area ensures easy access to great pizza and bagels. When last I lived in London, I took it upon myself to seek out pizza and bagels that suited my Jersey-fied taste buds. Of course, pizza and bagels can be found in London ... but my endeavor for premium quality ultimately proved fruitless. I remain open to the possibility of some day finding a perfect pie or bagel in London, but I admit that I am a dubious.

Now don't get me wrong. London's a fine place for a foodie to settle (especially if one has the means to travel about the rest of Europe). Very soon after my plane touches down, I will be at my favorite curry house in Brixton, my favorite Vietnamese restaurant in Shoreditch, my favorite ... (you get the picture). And I'm already anticipating opportunities to visit gourmet destinations outside London, such as San Sebastian, Napoli, and, of course, Paris, as well as other equally edible towns that are less renown for their local fare. Edinburgh (one of my all time favorite restaurants is here) and Budapest readily come to mind. Still, I will miss the yummy-ness of the Jersey Shore.

Another aspect to TriCity eatin' that I will miss is how seriously folks take ordering their food. Jersey's the alone place I've ever lived were bagels, pizzas, and hot dogs are asked to be well-done (which is how I've learned to best appreciate these treats). Perhaps, people make such requests elsewhere in the world, but Jersey's where I heard it first.



No comments:

More Stuff

Search Tiki Chris Presents ...

Latest ontoTravel

Latest ontoLondon

...

Don't Get it?

If you like this blog ...