Sunday, November 18, 2007

California Road Trip: Humphrey's Half Moon Inn

I’m back from an incredible adventure along the California coast. Arriving on Halloween, I started in LA, dipped down to San Diego for Tiki Magazine’s “Tiki Island at the Bali Hai” art show and then cruised up to the Bay Area for the Tiki Central Tiki Crawl with all sorts of memorable pit stops along the way. Most of the time, travel buddies Tiki Racer (who'd flown over from England with me) and Chongolio (who’d flown in from Kauai) were by my side. In retrospect, the whole trip seems very Wizard of Oz, with fascinating characters, new and old friends making appearances and plenty of lessons learned. However, when it came time to fly back, I was clicking my heels wishing I could stay just a little bit longer.


While in San Diego to attend "Tiki Island at the Bali Hai" (see yesterday's post), I stayed across the way at Humphrey's Half Moon Inn. Like the Bali Hai and Trader Mort's, Humphrey's is a mid century Polynesian-style biz on Shelter Island. Right on the water, it's a really sweet little hotel where I'd be more than happy to stay again. Several tikis and other exotic features, such as a couple of lovey-dovey parrots and a wide range of lush tropical plants, adorn the well kept grounds. The area around the pool is particularly nice with a high concentration of carvings. Another notable feature is the jutting A-frame with giant lantern which marks the entrance to the hotel's main lobby. At night this entrance is encircled in the glow of a few massive open torches. Equally evocative, most of the tikis are lit from below adding a little South Seas mystique every evening.




Click here to view my Flickr set of photos of Humphrey's Half Moon Inn and be sure to check out all my California Road Trip posts!

Photography by Chris Osburn © 2007

No comments:

More Stuff

Search Tiki Chris Presents ...

Latest ontoTravel

Latest ontoLondon

...

Don't Get it?

If you like this blog ...